DECLARATION OF GERALD ARMSTRONG
I, Gerald Armstrong, hereby declare:
1. At approximately 4:10 p.m. on Monday, October 21, 1985, I received a call at work from a man who identified himself as Tim Leonard with the FBI in Boston. Mr. Leonard informed me that someone had filed a complaint with the FBI accusing me of a crime. On my insistence he acknowledged that Scientology was involved in the matter. I agreed to be interviewed by him today at 11:00 a.m.
2. I met today with Mr. Leonard who showed me his FBI identification card. During the interview, Mr. Leonard informed me that the charge he was investigating was “impersonation of an FBI agent.” He would not tell me who had filed the complaint; however, he did inform me of the following details:
A. The alleged incident occurred on Sunday, October 13, at 2:00 p.m. near the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Green Line Auditorium stop in Boston.
B. My accuser was a “body router” for Scientology, handing out cards for the organization’s “free personality test.”
C. My accuser stated that he approached me to get me
to come in for a free personality test and I said “I’m an FBI agent. I know all about your organization. Ron is hiding out even from his own people. We’re going to wipe you out within two years.”
D. My accuser returned to the Boston organization and with the assistance of his seniors identified me as the individual to whom he had “spoken.”
E. My accuser stated that I was with another individual. Mr. Leonard did not have a physical dscription of this individual, and did not know if the individual was male or female.
3. I have never impersonated, nor identified myself as an FBI agent or any other government official or employee at any time. I have never led anyone to believe by any act on my part that I was an FBI agent or a government official or employee.
4. On October 13, 1985, at 2:.00 p.m., I was at my residence, writing. I did not travel anywhere all day.
5. I was not at the location described to me by Mr. Leonard on October 13. In fact, I have never been to that location in Boston, nor anywhere close to that location.
6. I have never talked to, since my arrival in Boston,
anyone whom I knew to be, or identified himself or herself as, a Scientologist. Since coming to Boston I have never to my knowledge been approached by a Scientology “body router.”
7. The criminal complaint by the Scientology organization is completely false. Any “evidence” is “manufactured” pursuant to L. Ron Hubbard’s policy attached hereto as Exhibit [A], which states:
“If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization, always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace.”L. Ron Hubbard HCOPL 8/15/60
8. This is not the first time Hubbard or Scientology has sought to bring phony charges against me. They attempted the same using the Los Angeles Police Department in 1983 during the pendency of my civil lawsuit in the Los Angeles Superior Court.
I declare under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 23rd day of October, 1985 at Boston, Massachusetts.
[Signed] Gerald Armstrong