DECLARATION OF GERALD ARMSTRONG
I, Gerald Armstrong, hereby declare:
1. At approximately 4:10 p.m. on Monday, October 21, 1985, I received a call at work from a man who identified himself as Tim Leonard with the FBI in Boston. Mr. Leonard informed me that someone had filed a complaint with the FBI accusing me of a crime. On my insistence he acknowledged that Scientology was involved in the matter. I agreed to be interviewed by him today at 11:00 a.m.
2. I met today with Mr. Leonard who showed me his FBI identification card. During the interview, Mr. Leonard informed me that the charge he was investigating was “impersonation of an FBI agent.” He would not tell me who had filed the complaint; however, he did inform me of the following details:
A. The alleged incident occurred on Sunday, October 13, at 2:00 p.m. near the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Green Line Auditorium stop in Boston.
B. My accuser was a “body router” for Scientology, handing out cards for the organization’s “free personality test.”
C. My accuser stated that he approached me to get me
to come in for a free personality test and I said “I’m an FBI agent. I know all about your organization. Ron is hiding out even from his own people. We’re going to wipe you out within two years.”
D. My accuser returned to the Boston organization and with the assistance of his seniors identified me as the individual to whom he had “spoken.”
E. My accuser stated that I was with another individual. Mr. Leonard did not have a physical dscription of this individual, and did not know if the individual was male or female.
3. I have never impersonated, nor identified myself as an FBI agent or any other government official or employee at any time. I have never led anyone to believe by any act on my part that I was an FBI agent or a government official or employee.
4. On October 13, 1985, at 2:.00 p.m., I was at my residence, writing. I did not travel anywhere all day.
5. I was not at the location described to me by Mr. Leonard on October 13. In fact, I have never been to that location in Boston, nor anywhere close to that location.
6. I have never talked to, since my arrival in Boston,
anyone whom I knew to be, or identified himself or herself as, a Scientologist. Since coming to Boston I have never to my knowledge been approached by a Scientology “body router.”
7. The criminal complaint by the Scientology organization is completely false. Any “evidence” is “manufactured” pursuant to L. Ron Hubbard’s policy attached hereto as Exhibit [A], which states:
“If attacked on some vulnerable point by anyone or anything or any organization, always find or manufacture enough threat against them to cause them to sue for peace.”L. Ron Hubbard HCOPL 8/15/60
8. This is not the first time Hubbard or Scientology has sought to bring phony charges against me. They attempted the same using the Los Angeles Police Department in 1983 during the pendency of my civil lawsuit in the Los Angeles Superior Court.
I declare under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the State of California that the foregoing is true and correct.
Executed this 23rd day of October, 1985 at Boston, Massachusetts.
[Signed] Gerald Armstrong
Geller & Weinberg
ATTORNEYS AT LAW –
Eighty Boylston Street Suite 910
Boston, Massachusetts 02116
October 22, 1985
Tim Leonard, Special Agent
Federal Bureau of Investigation
JFK Federal Building
Boston, MA 02203
Re: Complaint againt Gerald Armstrong
Dear Mr. Leonard:
In both my conversation with you yesterday and my discussion with Agent Graham on October 17, 1985, I pointed out that 18 U.S.C. §912 does cover the actions of Mr. Armstrong which are the subject of Ms. Hall’s complaint.
Apparently the Bureau is not terribly interested in bringing formal charges against Mr. Armstrong for his use of the Bureau’s name in his attempt to harass Ms. Hall.
As I have indicated, Mr. Armstrong has claimed to be close to the Bureau for some time now. Obviously, if he were an agent and/or employee of the Bureau, what he has done would not be a crime.
Therefore, please confirm or deny that Mr. Armstrong is or was an agent or employee of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
ROGER GELLER * PHILIP M. WEINBERG * JUDY WHISNANT
AFFIDAVIT OF MITRA HALL1
I, MITRA HALL, do hereby depose and state that:
1. I am 25 years old and a member of the Church of Scientology of Boston.
2. On Sunday, October 13, 1985 at approximately 2 PM, I was working with my Church offering personality tests to the public. I was speaking with people in the vicinity of the Auditorium MBTA station on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston.
3. I approached two young men And asked if they were interested in taking a personality test. One of these young men told me that he had taken the test previously. They made derogatory remarks to me. I then approached two other young men and asked if they were interested in doing a personality test. The first two men continued to make derogatory remarks aimed at me and the two new young men stopped talking to me as a result of this. I began to leave the area and commented to the first two men that they were being anti-social in their behavior. At that point, someone behind me called to me. This person was a casually dressed young man who appeared to be waiting for the bus that stopped there.
4. This young man said that he was social and why didn’t I ask him. I said “Can you do a personality test?” He said “You are Dianetics and Scientology, right?” I responded that I was. He then said “I’m an FBI agent. I know Ron is still alive. He’s running from his own. people, too.” I got the impression that he was implying that L. Ron Hubbard was running from two different sides, although this young man didn’t say that directly to me. He continued on and said “We’re going to shut you down in a few years. That’s a prediction for you.”
5. My response to this young man’s last remarks was to let him know that such a tactic had been tried in Australia and other places and that such a tactic had failed and that the Church continued to thrive. There was not much of any type of response to my remarks by this young man.
6. At no time did this young man show me a badge or any kind of identification to verify that he vas a member of the FBI. This young man was slender, almost 6′ tall. He looked like a clerk, meaning meek and conservative. He was wearing a dark colored jacket, like a windbreaker and a dark cap like a baseball cap.
7. When I returned to the Church, I reported the incident to my superiors and provided them with a detailed description of the impersonator. I was then shown several photographs of various individuals. One of the.photos clearly showed the man who had pretended to be and FBI agent. When I pointed to him, I was told that he was Gerry Armstrong, a man who had in the past committed several criminal acts against the Church and its Founder, L. Ron Hubbard. I feel strongly that the FBI impersonator and the man shown in the photo are one and the same man.
8. I resented immensely the fact that imposter was using the name of the FBI to interfere with my practice of my religion.
Sworn to under the penalties and pains of perjury this 17th day of October,1985.
[Signed] Mitra Hall