TRANSCRIPT 0F MITRA HALL
COMPLAINT TO FBI RE GERRY ARMSTRONG
OCTOBER 17, 1985
MH= Mitra Hall; DG= Don Graham, FBI Agent; RG= Roger Geller, attorney
MITRA HALL: Mitra . . . M, I, T, R, A.
D0N GRAHAM: Right. Right. And the last name.
MH: Hall . . . H, A, L, L. That’s half of my last name but that’s
what I usually use.
DG: Ok, and where do you live Mitra?
MH: 75 St. Alphonsus. S, T . . .
DG: Right . . .
MH: . . . point, 11, L, P, H .
DO: Right . . .
MH: . . . O, N, S, U, S.
DG: . . . S, U, S. Street?
MH: That’s it. Yes, it’s a street. The number of the apartment is
DG: Number 1704.
MH: And, it’s in Boston.
DG: Okay. Do you have a telephone number there Mitra?
DG: 6314. All right. You want to tell me what happened?
MH: I did meet this guy – this person in the street that told me
he was an FBI agent.
DG: Right. Where did this occur?
MH: 0n Mass Ave.
DG: Okay, about where an Mass Avenue?
MH: Between Boylston and Newbury. In front of the Auditorium Train
Page 2 TRANSCRIPT OF MITRA MALL – Complaint to FBI re Gerry Armstrong
dated October l7, 1985
Another voice: Tape’s stopped.
DG: Okay. When did this happen?
DG: Which would have been the 13th?
DG: About what time of the day?
MH: Two o’clock. Might have been just past.
DG: Okay. What occurred?
MH: I was saying something to this other person. I told him that
he was anti-social and this guy from behind me called me and
said said “Then well I’m social you can ask me”. I had never
heard anyone else say that so I was being curious and turned around and
asked him would you like to do a personality test. That’s what
DG Hmm Uh.
MH: Okay. And ah.. Are you ready?
DG: Okay. Then what happened ?
MH: Then he said “Are you from Dianetics and Scientolgy”?
MH: I said “Yes of course and I’m a very good Scientologist too”.
I usually say that to people when they want to bother me.
DG: Okay. All right.
Page 3 TRANSCRIPT OF MITRA HALL – Complaint to FBI re Gerry Armstrong
dated October 17, 1985
MH: And he said – This is exactly what he said: “I’m an FBI Agent..
MH: I know Ron is still alive,” or maybe he said “We know Ron’s still alive.”
RG: Referring to Mr. Hubbard, the Founder of Scientology.
DG: Okay. All right. Then what occurred?
MH: Then he said: “But he’s running -”
MH: “He’s running from his own people too.”
DG: All right.
MH: But meant that he was running from two different sides and
then he said “We’re going to shut you down in two years. That’s a
prediction . That’s a prediction for you”.
DG: Okay. Then what?
MH: Then, I kind of looked up and he had a very strange (inaudible)
said ” Yeah, good, carry on. You tried to do this in other places
too, Australia, you didn’t succeed, try again”. And he didn’t seem
to be listening, he was waiting for the bus.
DG: Did you walk away from him?
DG: Did he attempt to follow you?
RG: (This is said over the tape) So the total conversation was about
MH: (Mitra is still talking).. two or three minutes actually.
DG: Okay. And do you know who this individual was?
Page 4 – TRANSCRIPTION OF MITRA HALL – Complaint to FBI re Gerry Armstrong
dated October 17, 1985
MH: I described it and was shown a picture of this…
DG: When you went back to the Church?
MH: Yes. I described it to the Church and my description was very close
to this person.
MH: Especially, the way the eybrows were on his…
DG: Okay. Well who was this person?
MH: Gerry Armstrong. It was his picture.
DG: Okay. And do you know anything more about Mr. Armstrong?
RG: I believe I know his, or can locate his address. I’d also like to
state a little meager background information about Mr. Armstrong.
DG: Hmm. Uh.
RG: He was a former member of the Church of Scientology in California,
and has been sued by the Church and has instituted legal action
against the Church and I belive most recently he had also impersonated
an FBI Agent or said that he was working with the FBI and was taped
in Los Angeles – both videotaped
DG: Hmm. Uh.
RG: and sound recorded with the knowledge and permission of the Los
Angeles Police Department. He’s recently moved to Boston , so there’s
a whole history of enmity towards Scientology and Mr. Hubbard on
the part of this fellow.
RG: We don’t know exactly that he’s doing here in Boston, but if he’s
walking around telling people that he’s from the Bureau..
Page 5 – TRANSCRIPTION OF MITRA HALL – Complaint to FBI re Gerry Armstrong
dated October 17, 1985
DG: Right. Do you know.. Do you have an address for him?
RG: I do, but I don’t have it and I’ll have to call you tomorrow.
DG: All right. I won’t be here. I’ll have someone get in touch
with you at your office.
DG: And you can give them whatever additional information you have
RG: Fine. Mitra has done an affidavit….
RG: which basically sets forth what she has told you.
RG: including how she came to recognise Mr. Armstrong photographs
and what not that she was shown.
DG: Okay. Very good.
RG: In talking to her and also in reviewing the 18 U.S.C. Section 912,
it seems to me that what he was doing was trying to… he approached
her in sort of a threatening way and used the force of the authority
of the Bureau to sort of lend credence to his threat
DG: Hmm Uh.
RG: The way I read the Section 912 there is somewhat from our phone
conversation this morning where you say that in order to constitute
a violation of this section there has to be done with the purpose of
obtaining something of value or information of value. I read the
statute to say whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer
or employee acting under the authority of the United States or any
Department and acts as such information is enough to constitute that crime
DG: Well, we’ll just look into that.
Page 6 – TRANSCRIPTION OF MITRA HALL – Complaint to FBI re Gerry Armstrong
RG: Of course, I mean I just…
RG: I mean I’m fully aware that there was no extortion done here. I mean
he didn’t try to get something or get information or get money
from Mitra but he did try to intimidate her and used the Bureau as
a way to do that and we are , we meaning, the Church and I as their
attorney am concerned that this type of behavior is going on and
we would like it to be investigated.
DG: Sure and that’s why we are bringing the information forth
RG: And I don’t want to make any – I don’t want to leave any false
impression but there is a long history with this individual
and you know, in the past he’s denied situations. When this other
incident occurred in Los Angeles, he’s denied. We wouldn’t be
surprised if he denies this but, Mitra is willing to swear and in
fact has done so that this has occurred. She has no axe to grind
with this guy. She’s never met him before and we think that she should,
her word should be given a great deal credulity.
DG: Okay. Will somebody be in touch with you to get the additional
information and the description information and so forth.
DG: Good. Thank you vary much for coming over. Nice talking with you.
RG: Thank you very much for seeing us. Bye bye.
MH: Thank you.
DG: Good meeting you Mitra.
RG: This is the end of the interview. Anything else on this tape has
nothing to do with Mr. Armstrong.
AFFIDAVIT OF MITRA HALL1
I, MITRA HALL, do hereby depose and state that:
1. I am 25 years old and a member of the Church of Scientology of Boston.
2. On Sunday, October 13, 1985 at approximately 2 PM, I was working with my Church offering personality tests to the public. I was speaking with people in the vicinity of the Auditorium MBTA station on Massachusetts Avenue in Boston.
3. I approached two young men And asked if they were interested in taking a personality test. One of these young men told me that he had taken the test previously. They made derogatory remarks to me. I then approached two other young men and asked if they were interested in doing a personality test. The first two men continued to make derogatory remarks aimed at me and the two new young men stopped talking to me as a result of this. I began to leave the area and commented to the first two men that they were being anti-social in their behavior. At that point, someone behind me called to me. This person was a casually dressed young man who appeared to be waiting for the bus that stopped there.
4. This young man said that he was social and why didn’t I ask him. I said “Can you do a personality test?” He said “You are Dianetics and Scientology, right?” I responded that I was. He then said “I’m an FBI agent. I know Ron is still alive. He’s running from his own. people, too.” I got the impression that he was implying that L. Ron Hubbard was running from two different sides, although this young man didn’t say that directly to me. He continued on and said “We’re going to shut you down in a few years. That’s a prediction for you.”
5. My response to this young man’s last remarks was to let him know that such a tactic had been tried in Australia and other places and that such a tactic had failed and that the Church continued to thrive. There was not much of any type of response to my remarks by this young man.
6. At no time did this young man show me a badge or any kind of identification to verify that he vas a member of the FBI. This young man was slender, almost 6′ tall. He looked like a clerk, meaning meek and conservative. He was wearing a dark colored jacket, like a windbreaker and a dark cap like a baseball cap.
7. When I returned to the Church, I reported the incident to my superiors and provided them with a detailed description of the impersonator. I was then shown several photographs of various individuals. One of the.photos clearly showed the man who had pretended to be and FBI agent. When I pointed to him, I was told that he was Gerry Armstrong, a man who had in the past committed several criminal acts against the Church and its Founder, L. Ron Hubbard. I feel strongly that the FBI impersonator and the man shown in the photo are one and the same man.
8. I resented immensely the fact that imposter was using the name of the FBI to interfere with my practice of my religion.
Sworn to under the penalties and pains of perjury this 17th day of October,1985.
[Signed] Mitra Hall